Tony Bisconti is an experienced trial attorney representing businesses and individuals in all aspects of litigation. His main practice areas include bankruptcy, complex civil and insolvency litigation, investigations, and white-collar criminal matters. He has substantial experience leading cases in all phases of litigation, including trials, contested matters, evidentiary hearings, arbitrations, mediations, adversary proceedings, and appeals.
Tony has been involved in numerous business reorganizations representing debtors, principals, creditors, creditor committees, and trustees. His clients include Fortune 500 companies, the FDIC, high-profile celebrities and professional athletes, technology start-ups, closely held businesses, and high net-worth individuals. Since joining the firm, Tony has obtained several multi million-dollar judgments for his clients, complete defense verdicts, and favorable dispositions in white-collar matters.
On the white-collar side, Tony has represented businesses and individuals in investigations and litigation involving the Department of Justice, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Internal Revenue Service, and other federal, state, and local agencies.
Tony also has an extensive appellate practice, representing clients in all phases of appeal. He has briefed and argued multiple cases before the state and federal courts of appeal, and has been counsel before the United States Supreme Court.
Tony is an active member of the Los Angeles Bankruptcy Forum. He is also the former President of the Orange County Bankruptcy Forum. He has written numerous articles, and has participated on educational programs involving bankruptcy litigation, health-care insolvencies, and intersecting bankruptcy and criminal issues, among others.
Tony’s reputation earned his recognition by Best Lawyers® as 2023 “Lawyer of the Year” for Litigation – Bankruptcy in Orange County. He been named by Best Lawyers® for his work in Bankruptcy Litigation and Criminal Defense: White Collar since 2021. He has also been recognized as a Super Lawyers® “Rising Star” every year since 2015 and has been selected to the Southern California Super Lawyers® list every year since 2019.
Tony graduated near the top of his class from Loyola Law School, where he was on the Deans Honor List, a member of the St. Thomas More Honor Society, and an editor of the Loyola Law Review. He received his undergraduate degree from U.C. Berkeley, with a double major in rhetoric and legal studies, and a minor in philosophy.
Prior to joining Bienert Katzman Littrell Williams LLP, Tony was a judicial law clerk to the Honorable Maureen A. Tighe of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California.
- Representing the liquidating trustee in a chapter 11 bankruptcy proceeding pursuing fraudulent transfer and preference claims exceeding $50 million and obtaining favorable settlements with defendants.
- Representing a high profile athlete in a civil case by a paparazzo alleging assault and battery, Tony and his team obtained a complete defense verdict following a three day jury trial.
- Representing the creditors committee and then liquidating trustee of a bankrupt hospital, Tony successfully objected to or otherwise reduced claims against the estate by approximately $16 million, allowing creditors to receive a substantially higher distribution than they otherwise would have received.
- Representing a law firm defending against a civil investigative demand by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Tony was lead counsel for the firm at the trial court level and before the Ninth Circuit, and a member of the appellate team that prevailed before the United States Supreme Court.
- Representing the principals and insiders of a chapter 11 debtor, Tony successfully obtained dismissal of an adversary action seeking more than $10 million in damages with zero recovery to the plaintiff.
- Representing the plaintiff pursuing claims based on violation of her civil rights, Tony successfully obtained a non-dischargeability judgment in bankruptcy exceeding $3 million in damages against a Los Angeles County Sheriffs Detective.
- Representing an oil company in its acquisition of an oil facility from a bankruptcy estate in a contested sale process, including prevailing on appeal before the Ninth Circuit.
- Representing victims of a major real estate investment scheme, Tony obtained a judgment against multiple parties, including the principals of the investment outfit, totaling more than $3 million.
- Obtained a more than $200 million judgment for a liquidating trustee based on fraudulent transfer claims arising out of a failed luxury resort development.
- Representing a businessman and film financier in involuntary bankruptcy cases commenced against five of his companies. After more than five years of intense litigation, Tony was able to obtain the outright dismissal of the five bankruptcy cases.
- In a breach of contract action for failure to pay legal fees, Tony served as first chair at trial and obtained a judgment for the full amount of fees sought in the action, with interest. Tony also obtained an affirmance of the trial award on appeal.
- Successfully obtained the dismissal of civil contempt proceedings seeking a sanction against his client in excess of $40 million, based on prior alleged conduct in a case that had been litigated for approximately 20 years and resulted in two decisions by the United States Supreme Court.
- Selected as a Super Lawyers® “Rising Star” for the years 2015-2019