Dan has significant experience representing individuals and entities in high-stakes cases and investigations involving financial and securities fraud, market manipulation, tax offenses, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act violations, antitrust violations, RICO charges, sanctions violations, allegations of public corruption, and healthcare offenses. In his civil practice, Dan has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in multi-million dollar disputes, and has handled matters involving securities and derivative litigation, contract disputes, business torts, and other commercial matters.
Dan has a strong track record of achieving outstanding results for his clients, ranging from securing favorable settlements in civil actions, to successfully persuading the government not to file charges or an enforcement action in the first place, to winning for his clients at trial. Dan has experience representing clients from a variety of industries, including accounting, advertising, banking and financial services, cryptocurrency, non-profits, pharmaceutical and healthcare, rating agency services, and real estate.
Most recently, Dan’s client, a former executive at JPMorgan, was fully acquitted of fraud, market manipulation, racketeering, and spoofing after a highly publicized, five-week trial in federal court in Chicago. Dan represented a former President and COO of a publicly traded REIT in a multi-year securities class action and derivative litigation that settled on highly favorable terms to his client, and was part of a team that represented several institutional investors who collectively lost billions of dollars in investments in the Structured Alpha hedge funds managed by Allianz Global Investors U.S.
Dan graduated cum laude from New York University School of Law where he was a Robert McKay Scholar, and graduated cum laude from Duke University. Prior to joining Bienert Katzman Littrell Williams LLP, Dan was a partner at Petrillo Klein & Boxer LLP, a New York City-based litigation boutique.
- Achieved a jury acquittal on behalf of a former executive at JPMorgan charged with RICO conspiracy and conspiracy to commit wire fraud, commodities fraud, price manipulation, and spoofing.
- Defended a former executive at a credit rating agency in a multi-week trial against the SEC that resulted in dismissal of all fraud charges and no bar on continued industry service.
- Represented an advertising executive in a tax prosecution who received a sentence of probation despite the Government’s recommendation that the executive should be incarcerated for between 24-30 months.
- Represented the Miami Tribe of Oklahoma and tribal entities in connection with a Department of Justice investigation into payday lending, resulting in a non-prosecution agreement and a forfeiture payment of $48,000,000.
- Represented a national broker-dealer in connection with an SEC investigation into the sale of structured products.
- Represented former President and COO of VEREIT, Inc. (f/k/a American Realty Capital Properties, Inc.), in multi-year securities class action and opt-out litigations.
- Represented former CFO of Lehman Brothers in connection with opt-out actions alleging securities fraud.
- Represented cryptocurrency developer in connection with a dispute with a former consultant.
- Represented executive at a commodities trading firm in connection with an investigation into allegations of Foreign Corrupt Practices Act violations.
- Represented traders at different financial institutions in connection with domestic and international investigations relating to the manipulation of LIBOR.
- Represented executives at different financial institutions in connection with investigations by federal and state authorities into alleged fraud in relation to the sale of Residential Mortgage-Backed Securities.
- Represented legal and compliance and medical professionals in connection with a Department of Justice investigation into opioid marketing and distribution and related MDL and individual state litigations.
- Represented a senior executive of BP in parallel investigations in connection with the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.
- Conducted an investigation on behalf of an independent director of a private manufacturing company into the alleged usurpation of over $400 million in corporate opportunities.
- Conducted an investigation on behalf of a special committee of the board of directors of a publicly traded pharmaceutical company concerning conduct of certain consultants outside of the United States.